Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Inside a Cyber Studio: Shelly Sanchez Terrell

Due to the popular response I've decided to issue two columns a week instead of one. I will post one at the beginning (monday/tuesday) of the week and then one at the end (friday). Otherwise, it would just take to long to get through all of them.
Keep in mind the questions might change from time to time (especially as technology changes), and I'm looking to provide other formats as well (audio/video).

I hope you all find this to be a fun/exciting journey as we get to learn a bit more about each other and why we love technology & education.

Shelly Sanchez Terrell
blog: http://teacherbootcamp.edublogs.org/



  1. Where do you live? Stuttgart, Germany
  2. How long have you been working w/ technology/education? 13 yrs; I was lucky to use technology for teaching in 1996 when I joined an educator internship at a hands-on science museum where I taught children classes regularly.
  3. What OS/platform do you use for your work? Both Windows & Mac
  4. What is your favorite Web 2.0/21st Century tool and why? My favorite tool is Google. Through various Google tools I find my favorite web 2.0 tools, share with others, stay in contact with friends and students, collaborate on international projects, keep up with my blog's analytics, and chat with others. I can leave voicemails, bookmark my favorite blogs, create surveys for my students, and so forth! Many of these things I can do on my Iphone! I also love Twitter.
  5. What is the biggest misconception about technology? The biggest misconception about technology is students do not need to learn to problem solve with technology in schools. We live in a time of globalization and we cannot afford "not" to teach students how to use higher order skills with technology. This means that educators must learn to integrate technology effectively into the curriculum. The educator is the key!
  6. What are the biggest hurdles you face as a technology educator? My biggest hurdles are teachers and administrators who are happy with the status quo and make excuses for not integrating technology into the curriculum.
  7. What has been your biggest success in technology integration? I have been able to collaborate and interact with teachers, parents, and students in 20 different countries. I am able to still help my English language learners through college and graduate school. I like knowing that wherever I move I am connected!
  8. What has been your biggest setback in technology integration? My biggest set-back would be not getting every teacher in my department excited and on board with integrating technology effectively in their curriculum.
  9. Who/what has been your biggest inspiration in technology/education? My students who continually outperform themselves and amaze me with their creativity and engagement when using technology! My English language learners range from kindergarten to teenagers to retirees. All have used technology creatively to improve their English proficiency!
  10. Where do you see technology integration heading in the future? Unfortunately, I think some schools will continue to be left behind. However, I believe that those dedicated to the mission of integrating technology effectively in the curriculum will use smart phones, ebook readers, Ipods, touch technology, and virtual learning forums such as Second Life. These technologies will be the norm in these schools and educators will know how to differentiate learning with various technologies. I think more degree programs will be offered which focus on educational technology and more educators will be trained and prepared to improve learning outcomes through technology. Ironically, this is now and not the future. However, I hope this becomes the norm.
Fun
  1. What is your favorite book? There are so many, but I will name two that have struck a cord, Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole and Give Me: Songs for Lovers by Irina Denezhkina
  2. What is your favorite movie? Life is Beautiful (La vita รจ bella). For fun, I enjoy most Gene Wilder and Will Farrell movies
Next on Cyber Studio: Kevin Honeycutt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment and reading my blog!!